Sunday, December 8, 2013

Clearance to use safe lanes to lessen traffic jams

20131125_151400 (Medium)As I was driving on Road 30 (AKA Fahaheel express way) heading toward Kuwait City I observed what seemed to be traffic signs placed on the left side of the highway. I didn’t know what exactly they were for, also I noted they removed the speed reducers on the left safe lane and have re-asphalted it to look like a normal traffic lane. I thought they were doing normal road works maintenance, but I learned later that Kuwait Traffic Department now intends to allow drivers to use some of the safe lanes (left ones) on high ways to minimize traffic congestion at peak hours and these signs are used to indicate that safe lanes can be used.


Not to mention that this is a temporary solution at its best, I’ve to say that I had mixed reaction about this initiative. Obviously, increasing number of lanes on Kuwait highways will indeed increase their traffic capacity/volume and hence less congestion and time to reach your ultimate destination, but on the other hand safe lanes are extremely important for the safe passage of ambulances, police cars, firefighters, emergency.. etc. so this may obstruct their normal duties. Also the left lane is way too close to the concrete barrier so a slight veer may cause the cars to hit the concrete and cause dangerous accidents, bearing in mind that many drivers these days are not adequately focused on the road (thanks to smartphones of course). By the way, I also saw them doing the same on King Fahad highway (road 40).


So how do you feel about that?


2nd image via [link]


local11






Reblog: http://www.bananaq8.com/cars/clearance-to-use-safe-lanes-to-lessen-traffic-jams/

No comments:

Post a Comment